When visiting Angela at her home, and getting a tour of her idyllic north Idaho farm, she had just finished weaving this gorgeous rug. It was at the last stage of her long and loving process-the final dry. Laying out flat on a custom made rack after being freshly washed, this was the first glimpse into her creative world I had and I was hooked.
The grays in this rug are reminiscent of the clouds rolling off the Idaho mountains at their farm. Soft heathers, creamy whites, and charcoal blacks come together beautifully.
These rugs are a paradoxal combination of luxury and durability. Angela's rugs are meant to withstand the test of time either as a rug underneath your feet or as a piece of Idaho art displayed on your wall. The rugs are washable and care instructions are included.
This rug is a runner size, measuring 23" x 45" of the finest corespun mohair yarn. All of Angela's weaving is done on a heirloom quality Swedish loom that has its own dedicated room in their home.
This particular rug is finished with Angela's prefernce of a hemmed edge-her favorite way to trim her rugs. The hemmed edge holds up well to daily use and is mixed with silk fiber-those tiny white specks in the hem are the silk fibers!
What makes this fiber so special, so sought after?
- Mohair is the most luxurious goat hair fiber, similar to cashmere in it's quality and desirablility.
- Angela's family farm is known for their rare, and coveted, colored angora goats producing prized, naturally colored mohair.
- The mohair has no barbs (unlike a sheep's wool), so it has a luster that reflects light in the most beautiful ways.
- Angora goats are extremely high maintenance and require expert husbandry skills to maintain the herd.
- The goats are shorn only twice a year. The shearing is not a pelt or fleece like a sheep, but instead, the angora goats produce stunningly soft, long ringlet tendrils that must be taken at a specific length-no shorter, no longer.
Mohair Rug, Natural Gray
- Measures a generous 23" x 45"
- Weighs 4.15 lbs.
- Natural gray
- Corespun yarn with a mohair/silk blend hem